The National Animal Poison Control Center (NAPCC) is a non-profit , cost-recovery program at the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL 61801. The NAPCC has a wide range of information specific to animal poisoning, not only from plants, but from pesticides, drugs, medications, metals, cleaning products and other poisonous substances. If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, call your veterinary emergency clinic first! but, if you are having trouble getting assistance, or need more information, you can call NAPCC.
This is not a free call. Be ready to provide:
Telephone numbers for the NAPCC are: 1-800-548-2423 ($30.00 per case, credit card only; free follow-up calls until problem is resolved.) OR 1-900-680-0000 ($20.00 for 5 minutes, $2.95 per minute thereafter.
The following is a partial listing of plants which may be harmful if eaten by dogs:
Cherry seeds & wilting leaves
Lily of the Valley
ANTIC, June 1996
Back to Articles Index
Back to Home Page