NORMAL PHYSIOLOGIC VALUES FOR YOUNG PUPPIES
- Weight gain: Two-fold increase by 8-10 days
- Body Temperature:
- Weeks 1-2 94-99 F
Weeks 2-4 97-100 F
- Water requirements: 2-3 oz. per pound per day
- Caloric requirements: 60-100kcal per lb. per day
- Newborn pups become hypoglycemic if not fed for 24 hours, especially
- Respiratory rates: 15-35 per minute
- Sucking reflex: Usually strong at birth. Weak in physically immature,
abnormal or chilled puppies.
- Shivering reflex: Develops 6-8 days after birth
- Muscle tone:
- Firm; (Many) puppies stand upright at three weeks with normal tone
and postural reflexes. (Many) puppies walking and running by 4 weeks. Note:
Many smaller breeds take as much as a week or more longer to be up and
- Eyes open: 10-16 days.
- Visual perception: Absent less than three weeks. Present at four weeks.
- Hearing: By three weeks.
- Hyperkinesia (activated sleep/body twitching): Normal at one to three
weeks. Disappears after four weeks.
ANTIC, Decemberh 2001
Back to Articles Index
Back to Home Page